Saturday, April 21, 2007

Random ramble

I've been thinking some lately about how I named this blog and intended it's content to be triathlon related. And yet, I don't really do triathlons. Not right now anyway, and there are days where I wonder whether I'll even get beyond the occasional sprint distance race. I really have nothing of value to offer in the triathlon forum, I'm just a pregnant lady trying to not get too fat over the next 16 weeks (but yes, today I bought a mixed berry pie) and then I'll be a nursing mom (which made running pretty uncomfortable last time) trying to lose the baby weight. Would I love to do something like an Ironman race someday? Sure. But the earliest I see something of that magnitude working it's way into my life is approximately 2016. Even then, how would I really work it out so I still had time to spend with the kids, husband and work? Maybe I never will. I'm in awe of how some people are able to do it while balancing things so well and then I've seen some things that make me wonder how people could skew their lives so completely over something that's really extra in life, not essential. Maybe it's just that it's not essential to me. I realize that could also change with time.

I've already got a first race planned for next season, though. It's an annual local 5K, the same one Hot Wheels and Superdad are going to race at next Saturday. The baby will be about 8 months old by then, surely I can manage to plod through a measly 3.1 miles. Then there's a sprint tri in August at work, I'm planning to volunteer this year and then return to race it next year. Maybe I can improve on my second-to-last finish from last season, but maybe not. And really, that's fine with me. I think what I'm really lacking is the competitive gene. What is it that keeps me from wanting to push myself? Again, I'm not much for introspective thought lately, so I'm not too worried about it.

I do know that the first 3 days of spring have wiped the boys out and I'm so glad we've had this time together. After a couple hours with dad at the park on Thursday, our long day outside yesterday and then an afternoon with me, grandma and grandpa today at the park, they're both snoring away on the couch, the wonderful breeze coming through the curtains on this gorgeous Saturday afternoon at almost 70 degrees. I guess this is just where I'm at right now. If training for a sprint tri, or maybe an Olympic, is something I can do while maintaining my current work-family-training balance with time, great. If not, triathlons aren't going anywhere before the kids are grown and on their own. For now I'm content to be a wannabe triathlete, but I don't really wannabe anywhere other than where I'm at.

And yes, I am feeling better, thanks.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Made me think of Gavin Degraw lyrics

"I don't want to be
Anything other than what I've been trying to be lately
All I have to do
Is think of me and I have peace of mind
I'm tired of looking 'round rooms
Wondering what I've got to do
Or who I'm supposed to be
I don't want to be anything other than me"


I like that song :)

Triteacher said...

I love your last line. Very beautifully put. I think you've said a mouthful. For some people, triathlon is life; for others, not so much. But I think they're all right where they "wannabe." (At least I hope so!)

Duane said...

Not only will triathlons be around, but so will we if you keep blogging!

Fe-lady said...

Concentrate on the sprints...I did for years as training and racing for another IM with a small child (only 1 mind you!) and a full time career was just impossible. Plus my ex wasn't any help which added to the reality that I really couldn't at that time...BUT...hey I plan to in 2008. The last IM was 1995. That's 13 years of just doing what I could fit in..and it has been enough. 2016 is ONLY eight years away...not that far when you consider how quickly time flies! (Your training starts tomorrow!)
Enjoy these times...kids asleep on the couch after a fun day. Just such a wonderful picture!