Saturday, March 07, 2009

Recovery Week

I've never done any sort of training that was intense enough that I had a recovery week in the middle. It was sort of cool, but I realized that I may want to be a middle distance runner. (Of course I realize everyone has a different definition of distances and to an ultra-marathoner I'm obviously still a low mileage runner) But, I've always considered anything in the 5-10 mile range a middle distance. Once you get beyond 10, that's long distance to me. It was nice to be on and off the treadmill in 30-40 minutes, but I felt like I wanted to go a bit longer. I didn't, because I want to follow the training schedule, but 11.2 miles for the week, which I had never even done before 8 weeks ago, seemed a little anti-climactic. I'm going to get back on the strength training this month, although I had to miss Thursday morning because I pulled a much-of-the-nighter with Princess Wednesday night.

We had such a great day today. We had 12 inches of snow on Monday, so there was still a bit left this morning, so we went out a built what is likely our last snowman of the year. It was already over 50 degrees at 9am, and he's already fallen over because of the melting over the course of the day, but it was a nice day to play in the snow in our snow pants and no coats. I was wearing a t-shirt and running pants with my boots because it was so warm . Then the boys and I went to a grammar school carnival where they won some prizes for tossing bean bags and we found some cheap books- always a highlight of my days. The whole family took a walk down on the boardwalk near the beach and we skipped rocks, found shells, ran some races and just had a great early taste of spring time. I love winter and the snow, but getting back to hikes with the kids and days at the beach is very appealing. Here's a picture of Mr. Snowman with the kids.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

a t-shirt with running pants and boots - ha! funny what works sometimes based on the weather.