Saturday, December 02, 2006

Home, sweet home

Last night, after being awake for over 30 hours (the second 24 hour+ stint without sleep in less than a week) I hit the sheets in my own bed for the first time since Monday morning. The week has its good and bad points. The training, which is the reason I traveled out to lovely Fullerton, CA- was very well done so the overall trip was a huge success. Well, I guess the true success will be measured on Monday when I see whether I have retained any of the information in the 3-day info dump, I mean class. I also had a great dinner on Monday night with some friends. That's the end of highlights, the rest was sort of crappy. I was up over 24 hours to start the trip- then Monday night I ate something that didn't agree with my stomach so I slept on the bathroom floor and intermittently napped over night. The weather there was actually colder than here in CT, so no outdoor pool. The fitness center's indoor pool was about 20 feet long, so I didn't get any swim workouts in. I got 3 workouts in, despite an awful cold that hit Tuesday morning. I took a spin class that may have been the most difficult one that I have ever taken. The instructor was great- right up until the point when she picked a drill that required that we point our toes down- something never done in real life. It triggered an awful charlie horse in my calf muscle. Then coming home I was hoping to get out on an earlier flight, but there were no options before the 11pm red eye, so I sat in the airport for 5 hours waiting to leave. Then I couldn't sleep on the plane, so that was why I ended up with the second 24 hour+ no-sleep period. It was also probably the worst nutritional week of my entire life. I was a little emotional about being away from the kids for 5 days (although they were fine with it), it wasn't nice weather to be outside, any all my meals were on the company card. So, if I wanted some dessert I figured I'd treat myself- three dinners in a row. I had planned to eat in a nice Italian restaurant in the hotel, but it was closed. So I ate all my meals from the hotel cafe, which was just alright. Breakfast was good, though, I ordered in my room Wed and Thurs morning. A yummy vegetable omelet with spinach, mushroom and cheese.

Here I sit now, still pretty exhausted after getting some sleep last night, but not enough to make up for the past week. I'm hoping to nap this afternoon when I put Superman down to rest. I've still got this head cold so I'm taking the weekend off from workouts, I'll get back to it on Monday morning. Bright and early.

The best part of the week, though, was coming home. As soon as I opened the door and came in the house I got a chorus of "Mommy's home!" and I was tackled with giant hugs. It's great to be home.


Triteacher said...

I gotta say - that sounds hell-ish. Being sick in a hotel room, ugh. Glad you're back safe and sound.

Lisa said...

"the fitness center's indoor pool was about 20 feet long"

that just made me laugh. i remember a time i was excited because i was staying at a hotel with a pool on business, only to discover that same thing. honestly, what use is a pool that short? i don't know why they do that and put it in a fitness center.

bet you are happy to be home. travelling for work is no fun.