Saturday, October 28, 2006

Technical difficulties

This was going to be the second day of my 3-events-in-24-hours event. Unfortunately, I was interrupted by a power outage that prevented the run part. So, for this month I've got the swim and bike finished. I'll try to do it again next weekend.

500 meter swim (550 yards): 10:02. I was pretty happy with my time considering I have not swam a stroke since August 30th. I even dusted off the flip turns, which I haven't done in probably 10 years. Twice I had to settle for an open turn when my breathing rhythm didn't sync up with the end of the lap. The first flip turn I swam in too close to the wall and my butt hit on my way over. One time I also flipped about a stroke too soon so when my legs reached for the wall I got nothing. Even with 25% poor flip turns, approximately 2:00 per 100m isn't too bad, in my opinion. Considering I've done far less swimming than biking or running since May, I think I could easily improve on that, which would be cool.

T1: 58:00. I swam about 500 yards after the times set, drove to work, got an experiment started and then headed down to the gym.

15 mile bike: 41:41. After two 45 minute spin classes this week (Tues/Thurs) I opted for the exercise bike. I think I had the level set too easy because my cadence was 90-110 the whole time, even though the random program had "hills". But I gave it a good tough effort and I was pretty happy with the result.

T2: Was supposed to be approximately 21 hours, because I got back too late last night to run before going to bed. Granted, too late was 7:30pm, but I had eaten not long before coming home and I'm not good at running so soon after eating. Just 15 minutes after getting up this morning, though, the power went out- therefore the treadmill was out of order. The power went out because there was a rain storm and 50mph winds, so an outdoor run wasn't happening either. Most of my runs are on the treadmill anyway, even though it's not what many people consider a real workout, it works for me.

Today, the boys and I went out to lunch with grandma at a local pizza restaurant that has model trains set up throughout the restaurant. It's a big hit with the kids and the pizza and salads are excellent. Then we hung out with grandma and grandpa, watched Monsters Inc and had an enjoyable afternoon. So the run not happening wasn't the end of the world. Of course, I could have run now instead of sitting here on the computer but that window of opportunity and motivation passed with the power outage this morning.

No comments: